Over the past three years, sustainability has become a fundamental component for us to demonstrate our ability to manage sustainability risks and opportunities, and create value for our stakeholders.
This year, we strengthened our commitment through an in-depth materiality exercise and by addressing identiﬁed gaps of our sustainability performance with relevant sustainability indices.
Tackling Climate Change: Path Towards Net-zero
The 26th annual summit of the United Nations Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26) held in November 2021 concluded with all parties agreeing to keep the 1.5 degree temperature rise cap alive and to scaling up action on dealing with climate impacts. Responding to the urgency for global climate action, our sustainability priorities now include strengthening our climate strategy while continuing to ensure the health and safety of guests and employees for as long as Covid-19 remains pandemic.
We are fully aware of the heavy scrutiny on the aviation industry’s carbon emissions. In the last two years, along with pandemic-induced travel restrictions across the world, our carbon emissions dropped by more than 90% while waste generation was reduced to a minimum. However, the situation will reverse once the travel industry recovers, hence we reviewed our climate strategy to put in place mechanisms and processes that will help deliver the aviation industry’s target of net zero by 2050.
This year, we made great progress towards a net zero future through the following new initiatives:
Given that Capital A is now a diversiﬁed group, we also began the process of identifying key ESG issues relevant to our new lines of business. We are committed to ensuring not only that we build a sustainable airline but that we apply the same principles to all businesses under the Capital A umbrella.
Sustainable Development Goals
We are aligned to the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals, and have prioritised the six Goals below:
The highlights below provide an overview of the ways Capital A is helping to make the UN SDGs a reality.
- Started Women Mentorship Programmes
- Introduced Annual Diversity Survey
- Disclosed first Gender Pay Gap Analysis
- Updated Anti-Harassment Policy to reiterate zero tolerance for all forms of harassment
- Female pilots: 6.1%, above the global average of 5.8%
- Reduced work-related injuries by 49%
- Renewed IOSA Certification
- Updated Anti Trafficking module to incorporate regional trafficking patterns
- Launched FACES contactless check-in at klia2
- Raised >RM500k for post flood rebuilding
- Gave back >RM670k to community initiatives
- Cut electricity consumption by 10.5%
- Cut water consumption by 15.9%
- Avoided 11,175 tonnes of CO2 emissions through fuel efficiency initiatives
- Zero incidents of non-compliance to environmental regulations
- Established Climate Strategy to achieve Net Zero by 2050
- Commenced TCFD alignment
In order to meet the above SDG targets, we focus on addressing nine material sustainability matters. We do this through monitoring, measuring and taking targeted initiatives to improve our performance. These nine material matters are categorised according to the 3 pillars below. Select the respective pillar for our highlights of 2021.